Good article from news site: The Voice of Russia. A good English based website for up to date news about Russia…
Russia insists on offensive/defensive link in START: By Yevgeny Kryshkin
The State Duma (the lower house of the Russian parliament) plans to confirm the link between the reduction of the strategic offensive arms and the restriction of antimissile defense systems’ deployment in the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), signed between the US and Russia, Konstantin Kosachev, chairman of the Duma Committee on International Affairs says.
“During the ratification of START in the US Congress the American lawmakers noted that the link between strategic offensive armed forces and antimissile defense systems is not juridically binding for the parties. They referred to the fact that this link was fixed only in the preamble of the document. Such an approach can be regarded as the US’ attempt to find an option to build up its strategic potential and the Russian lawmakers cannot agree with this,” Kosachev says.
We will deal with these interpretations. The first thing is that our American colleagues do not recognize the legal force of the treaty’s preamble. The preamble sets a link between strategic offensive arms and defensive arms. The second thing is an attempt to interpret certain provisions of the treaty unilaterally.
The Russian lawmakers insist that all the chapters of the treaty including the preamble are legally binding, which is a common norm of international law. It is not lawful to take certain provisions and to give them unilateral interpretations like the American senators do, Alexei Arbatov, a member of the Carnegie Scientific Council, says.
This is our reaction on the US steps, which are not justified because you cannot selectively validate or invalidate certain provisions of the treaty. We are quite consistent here. We said that the entire treaty, the preamble and the articles have the same judicial force. This is logical and this is right.
The Russian lawmakers expect that the work on the respective resolution will be completed in a few days. The State Duma will approve the draft of START’s ratification together with all related statements and reservations by February.
Windows to Russia!
- Russian media: The missile defense provision in the new START treaty is legally binding (hotair.com)
- Duma to ratify New START despite opposition moves (rt.com)
- Russian FM lashes out at US amendments to New START treaty (rt.com)
- So You Really Think That America Ratified The START Treaty? (windowstorussia.com)
- Medvedev, Obama discuss New START treaty ratification by phone (rt.com)
- Russia Says It Will Ratify Arms Pact Next Year (foxnews.com)
- Seems to be a Possible Snag in the START Treaty Resolution from America (windowstorussia.com)
- That Cup Of Coffee and the START Treaty… (windowstorussia.com)
- Will The START Treaty Be Passed in the American Senate? (windowstorussia.com)
- Letter About START! (windowstorussia.com)
- Pretty Simple: America Changed the START Treaty… (windowstorussia.com)