Medvedev just started a video area on YouTube and then this pops up last week. I find it interesting that countries are having internet issues such as America shutting down 73,000 blogs on a site last week (They deny it though! :)) China and Google go round and round. Now this, Russia and YouTube…
The Central District Court of Russia’s Far East city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur has ordered a local Internet provider to block access to five websites, including Youtube, for spreading extremist materials, a court spokesman told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
“The court ordered the Rosnet provider to block access to Youtube, as well as to lib.rus.ec, thelib.ru, zhurnal.ru and web.archive.org, which contain open materials included in the federal list of extremist literature,” he said.
The Komsomolsk-on-Amur Prosecutor’s Office filed a lawsuit after investigating the website content.
Rosnet on Wednesday appealed the decision.
“Representatives of our company have repeatedly offered… representatives of the Prosecutor General‘s office… ways of blocking extremist content by turning to the hosting providers and owners of websites or the authors of the [extremist] issues. But our proposals were neglected,” Rosnet’s press release said.
Several countries attempt to impose censorship on the world’s largest websites. Pakistan blocked Youtube in February 2008 over “sacrilegious content.” Last year, China blocked Youtube on its territory. (RIA Novosti)
Makes me go Hummmm…
Windows to Russia!
- Russian city blocks YouTube (go.theregister.com)
- “Russia: YouTube, Archive.org and Other Sites Banned by a Far East Court” and related posts (resourceshelf.com)
- Russian Court Bans YouTube Over Extremist Video (newteevee.com)
- Russian court blocks YouTube (telegraph.co.uk)
- Russian court bans YouTube for hosting extremist content (newstatesman.com)
- YouTube banned by Russian court (guardian.co.uk)
- YouTube Banned in Russia Over Racist Video (mashable.com)
- Russian regional court orders YouTube, other sites blocked because of extremist material (foxnews.com)
- Russian regional court orders YouTube blocked (theglobeandmail.com)
- Russian City Bans YouTube; ISP Doesn’t Comply [Voices] (voices.allthingsd.com)