Maslenitsa 2011 will take place between February 28 and March 6th. This is a pre lent festival. So as Russian traditions are observed and people eat their fill of blini (Pancakes) the festivals help to bid farewell to winter. The idea is to dispel the cold with symbols of spring other words: Pancakes with their round shape and yellowish color represents the sun and an effigy (Man of Straw) is burned to welcome warmer weather. Other activities, like group fist fights (Ouch), sledding, and troika rides, are traditional Maslenitsa activities…
So look at the week of expectations!
Monday – is called “a meeting”. With the first pancake it is tradition to give to beggars for them to mention the poor dead.
Tuesday – is called “zaigrysh” (games). On this day, the morning begins with a funny game.
Wednesday – is called “gourmand” (A gourmand is a person who takes great pleasure in food.) On this day, the hostess act on saying: “What is in the oven, First of all delicacies, of course, pancakes.” On this day Mother in-laws invite Son in-laws to eat pancakes.
Thursday – “razguliay”. On this day begins Maslenitsa full strength. As well as helping to drive winter away and bring the sun into play again. Example to do this, like riding horses clockwise around the village.
Friday – “Teschin evening” (Inlaws). Son in-law invites Mother in-law and treat them pancakes.
Saturday – the “zolovkiny chat” Sister in-law invites female relatives of her husband. If the husband’s sisters were married, the daughter of guests invited and their unmarried friends. But if the sister was already married, she invited relatives married. Bride daughter had bestowed their gifts zolovok.
On Sunday – the last day of Maslenitsa is called “Forgiveness Sunday”. On this day, you should apologize to all relatives and friends for all the resentment, thus relieved of their sins before Lent. Also on the last day of Pancake week, you burn a man of straw – the symbol of winter. The ashes of the man of straw fly all over the fields – for a rich summer harvest.”
I now just love Russian pancakes (At first I had reservations about a Russian pancake) and this week is great because I will be making pancakes for almost every meal…
Windows to Russia!
- Maslenitsa or simply Butter Week (russianloyola.wordpress.com)
- Great Lent 2011 is Sneakin’ Up on Us… Maslenitsa Starts Next Monday (02varvara.wordpress.com)
- Russia: Is There A Santa Claus in Russia? (windowstorussia.com)
- You can’t feed a Russian without a Kasha… (windowstorussia.com)
- Iron Maiden Rocking in Moscow… (Feb. 11th, 2011) (windowstorussia.com)
- 1994 to 2011 – Terror Attacks Against Russia… (windowstorussia.com)
- Get a Visa to Russia… (Update – 2011) (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia Christmas is Here Soon in 2011… (windowstorussia.com)
- Putin is a Mountain… (windowstorussia.com)
- So You Really Think That America Ratified The START Treaty? (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia: Dollar Breaks Psychological Mark; Below 24 RUB/USD! (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia Tried to Stop the Litvinenko Poisioning But Britian said NO! (windowstorussia.com)