I was drinking my morning cup of coffee and thinking about the news that I heard about Wal-Mart and Russia!
The Bentonville-based retailer also joined the Russian Association of Retail Companies, a trade association similar to the National Retail Federation in the United States, said Richard J. Coyle, Wal-Mart’s senior director for international corporate affairs.
“Wal-Mart has been exploring opportunities in Russia for several months,” Coyle said, and joined the retail companies association “to participate in meetings and forums” and to follow retail trends. (Link)
I have written an articles before (Link) But never really had anymore evidence other than just rumors that drift in from the locals and Reuters.
Seems that now Wal-Mart has with out a doubt made a commitment here in Russia. I am not happy about this news because I think that we have a huge discount store in Russia that serves the needs. (Link) Ашан: pronounced Auchong, is my favorite huge store and Svet and I are very comfortable shopping there.
Here is a list from the Wal-Mart sight that shows the international stores that Wal-Mart has:
Bentonville-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. had 3,416 international stores as of Dec. 31. The market, number of stores and date of entry include:
• Mexico, 1,201, November 1991.
• Puerto Rico, 56, August 1992.
• Canada, 310, November 1994.
• Brazil, 349, May 1995.
• Argentina, 28, August 1995.
• China, 225, August 1996. The China stores include Wal-Mart’s 35 percent interest in Trust-Mart, which operates 100 stores in China.
• United Kingdom, 358, July 1999.
• Japan, 387, March 2002.
• Costa Rica, 164, September 2005.
• El Salvador, 77, September 2005.
• Guatemala, 160, September 2005.
• Honduras, 50, September 2005.
• Nicaragua, 51, September 2005.
Source: Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
So I guess that we wait and see what future Russia has with Wal-Mart!
Kyle & Svet
comments always welcome.