If the US plan goes ahead as expected, high powered radars from Poland will be able to cover all of European Russia, and a good chunk of Siberia as well:
At the same time, it illustrates just why Central/Eastern Europe is such a perfect site for this anti-missile system.
- It’s directly in between any missiles that may be fired from Iran towards the US.
- It’s almost directly in between any missiles that might head towards Western Europe.
- It’s sufficiently far enough away to allow interceptors to be launched in good time.
- It’s perfectly placed to mesh with US-based radars covering the Atlantic and Arctic oceans.
- Oh yes – and it just happens to have a bonus feature allowing sneak peaks into Russian airspace…”