Maslenitsa 2010 will take place between February 8 and February 14. This is a pre lent festival. So as Russian traditions are observed and people eat their fill of blini (Pancakes) the festivals help to bid farewell to winter. The idea is to dispel the cold with symbols of spring other words: Pancakes with their round shape and yellowish color represents the sun and an effigy (Man of Straw) is burned to welcome warmer weather. Other activities, like group fist fights (Ouch), sledding, and troika rides, are traditional Maslenitsa activities.
Monday is called “a meeting”. With the first pancake it is tradition to give to beggars for them to mention the poor dead.
Tuesday is called “zaigrysh” (games). On this day, the morning begins with a funny game.
Wednesday is called “gourmand” (A gourmand is a person who takes great pleasure in food.) On this day, the hostess act on saying: “What is in the oven, First of all delicacies, of course, pancakes.” On this day Mother in-laws invite Son in-laws to eat pancakes.
Thursday – “razguliay”. On this day begins Maslenitsa full strength. As well as helping to drive winter away and bring the sun into play again. Example to do this, like riding horses clockwise around the village.
Friday – “Teschin evening” (Inlaws). Son in-law invites Mother in-law and treat them pancakes.
Saturday, the “zolovkiny chat” Sister in-law invites female relatives of her husband. If the husband’s sisters were married, the daughter of guests invited and their unmarried friends. But if the sister was already married, she invited relatives married. Bride daughter had bestowed their gifts zolovok.
On Sunday the last day of Maslenitsa is called “Forgiveness Sunday”. On this day, you should apologize to all relatives and friends for all the resentment, thus relieved of their sins before Lent. Also on the last day of Pancake week, you burn a man of straw – the symbol of winter. The ashes of the man of straw fly all over the fields – for a rich summer harvest.”
I now just love Russian pancakes (At first I had reservations about a Russian pancake) and this week is great because I will be making pancakes for almost every meal…
Windows to Russia!
comments always welcome.
- China not Russia the Evil Demon Empire of Destruction… (windowstorussia.com)
- Latest News From Russia… (10/23/2010) (windowstorussia.com)
- Thoughts from Russia with Coffee… (windowstorussia.com)
- Russian Tunnel: What A Great Idea! (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia is Going to be Cold this Winter… (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia: Day Of Moscow! (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia and News… (windowstorussia.com)
- Come to Russia you can Read Some of the Signs! (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia: Bridge To Crimea! (windowstorussia.com)
- Fires are Dwindling – Our Village Here We Come… (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia: Was Polonium-210 Used As A Weapon? (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia: Nobel-prize winning Russian writer Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn has died at the age of 89! (windowstorussia.com)